Bartender – multiple positions available
$15.50/hour + gratuities
Our Commitment to Anti-Oppression:
The theatre sector is in a period of much-needed change and tremendous opportunity.
At the Grand, we are committed to creating and practicing a company culture that ensures an accessible, equitable, inclusive, and welcoming space for artists, audiences, donors, boards, and staff.
We encourage all applicants to review the Grand’s Anti-Oppression Mission Statement on our website to confirm that your personal and professional values are aligned with this vision. We are committed to building a diverse workplace as such we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of equity deserving groups such as members of the BIPOC community, and/or 2SLGBTQ+ community. Please let us know if you require accommodation(s) at any stage of the application process.
The Grand is searching for dynamic and experienced Bartenders for this upcoming season. These are seasonal part-time positions, and paid weekly, on basis of hours worked. Gratuities are built into the Grand Theatre’s bar and concession pricing and are added to weekly pay.
Reporting to the Front of House Manager, Grand Theatre Bartenders provide exemplary customer service to all patrons and special guests when serving both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and concession items from the bar. The hours will incorporate evenings, weekends and the occasional week day matinee during the regular season. Our staff teams embrace and participate in an environment that encourages respect, inclusion, open communication, a proactive approach to problem solving and reflects organizational values.
The Grand Theatre season runs from September to June each year and shows run Tuesdays - Sundays. There may be occasional special events that run outside of this schedule.
We offer a flexible schedule ideal for managing work-life balance. Typical shifts available are as follows but may vary by week, by show, by need.
- Mornings – 9:15 am – 2:00pm
- Mornings – 11:15 am – 4:00pm
- Evenings - 6:15pm – Midnight
- Evenings - 5:15pm – 11:00pm
- Maintain a welcoming, positive and friendly experience for all Grand Theatre patrons & special guests
- Serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and snacks to patrons responsibly
- Collect and reconcile any cash, debit or credit card transactions per order. Balance float & till at the end of shift.
- Perform opening and closing procedures for each open bar and lounge/lobby space
- Ensure each bar area is fully stocked with all supplies before doors open & restock before closing
- Assist with setting up space for special events and private functions
- Monitor inventory after each shift and report any low supplies
- Maintain a clean and tidy bar, lobby or lounge area at all times, with extra cleaning duties performed while patrons are in the theatre, post-show or after special events
- Must be Ontario Smart Serve certified before start of first shift
- Experience working in a bar, restaurant or customer service environment
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations correctly
- Basic computer proficiency
- Experience working with an electronic POS system such as Square, SalesVu etc. or willing to learn use of SalesVu POS system
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Must be reliable, flexible, dependable and willing to work evenings, weekends and holidays
- Sustained physical activity includes: remaining on feet for long periods of time, lifting and moving up to 25lbs of force on a frequent basis and up to 75lb on occasional basis; and setting up/tearing down tables, chairs
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with many disruptions and tight deadlines
- First Aid training and CPR is considered an asset
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
- You are a ‘people person’ with outstanding interpersonal skills, a passion for the arts and or theatre sector
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias
- You are a team player, who can also work well independently
- You are able to communicate with our patrons in a friendly and professional manner
- You are highly motivated and energetic; you show initiative and can problem solve as well as multitask under pressure
Please submit a letter of interest and resume by email to Ali Samuel, Front of House Manager, via foh [at] grandtheatre.com. Please note “Bartender Application” as the subject line.
This posting will remain open until all available positions are filled, but applications will be reviewed beginning Friday August 20th.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please. All applications are considered confidential.